(serves approx 10)
- Large bunch of rhubarb stalks (chopped) +/- 5-8 apples (peeled and sliced).
- 1-2 cups plain or wholemeal flour
- 1-2 cups oats
- 1-2 cups desiccated coconut
- ~1 cup raw or brown sugar
- 250 gms butter, softened (or approx 1 cup olive oil)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- Soften chopped rhubarb in a pan with half of the spices and approx. 2 tbsp of the sugar
- Spread apples and rhubarb across the base of a large pan
- Mix together all remaining dry ingredients in a bowl then knead through the butter (or oil) until it forms a crumbly consistency. Make as much or little crumble mixture as you want. 50% fruit, 50% crumble works well.
- Spread crumble mixture over fruit mixture
- Bake for approximately 45 mins in 180-200o Celsius oven (or until brown on top and bubbly around the edges)
- Enjoy with cream, ice cream, custard or all three!