Recipe for Rievkooche (Cologne Style Potato Pancakes)
Ingredients for 4 persons:
1 kg waxy potatoes
oil for the frying
a little bit flour
- Put a clean dishcloth over a bowl. Grate potatoes and onion on a coarse grater in the bowl. Then squeeze the mass in the cloth over the bowl vigorously.
- Leave the collected liquid for a few minutes until the potato starch settles to the bottom. Then carefully drain off the water.
- Put the squeezed potatoes and onions with the collected starch and the eggs into a bowl, season well with salt, pepper and nutmeg and stir. If the potato dough draws water, which usually happens with new potatoes, add 1 or 2 spoonfuls of flour.
- Heat plenty of oil in a large pan. Add some the potato mixture (about two tablespoons) and press flat. Roast the potato cake on both sides until they are golden brown and crispy. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
- Keep the prepared potato cakes in a preheated 60 ° C oven warm and continue with the rest of the dough.
The Rievkooche are usually served with (selfmade) apple puree or sugar beet syrup.