CALLS FOR EVIDENCE
The Commission will work by establishing key themes with calls for evidence. These will be posted here along with compilations of the evidence provided.
CALL 1: UNDERSTANDING CHANGING TRAVEL DEMAND [download .pdf]
The first call focussed on six key questions surrounding how demand is understood in the transport sector today, what the key uncertainties are and how these are addressed in different methods:
- Which aspects of travel demand have changed in ways which have not been anticipated by traditional forecasting approaches in the past twenty years?
- How do these changes relate to the way in which the activities that we participate in have changed? What other factors might explain change?
- How do these vary spatially? Are there distinctions between central, suburban and rural areas and are there differences between cities?
- How do they vary over time? Are there particular times in the week where demand has changed or seasonal variations which have emerged?
- What methods can be used to incorporate greater uncertainty in demand? Have they been deployed and to what effect?
The evidence submitted is available to download below.
These files are also available as one document [.pdf] (8MB file)
Back to Commission on Travel Demand HOME